April 11, 2019

REVIEW: Former First Lady


Former First Lady
Author: Ebony Edwards-Ellis
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Synopsis

The American people--critics and allies alike--like to compare Barry and me to the Obamas. Like the Obamas, we are an African-American couple who ascended to the White House with two young daughters. Both presidents were Ivy League educated lawyers. And Michelle Obama and I, having both been born during the third week of January, occasionally celebrated birthdays on the King Holiday.

What people often intentionally overlooked was how different Barry and I were to the Obamas. Barry and I weren't married at the time of our elder daughter's birth--a situation we did not rectify for several years. Having dropped out of college, I am not an Ivy League educated lawyer like Michelle Obama nor do I possess her grace, charisma or charm. And yes, both presidents answered to the nickname "Barry" at some point in their lives, but the names "Barack" and "Barrington" bespeak two very different backgrounds. And, no, despite all the efforts of Barry's PR machine to create the image of a peaceful cohesive family, Barry and I did not enjoy a particularly happy marriage.

Barry and I were the anti-Obamas...

This is how former First Lady Shelley Diggs characterizes her relationship with her soon-to-be ex-husband, Barrington "Barry" Welles. After Trump resigns under the threat of impeachment, Barry defeats Mike Pence in the election of 2020 to become the 47th President of the United States. Having never wanted to be a "political wife," Shelley has to sacrifice her freedom and privacy for the sake of her husband's political career.

Fed up with omnipresent Secret Service agents and desperate to reclaim, Shelley leaves her husband shortly after he finishes his second term, returns to her native New York, and relinquishes her protection detail. However, Shelley's yearnings for her husband threaten to derail her plans for her future. When a family tragedy strikes, Shelley must choose between her new life and the comfort and safety of her family.

PURCHASE LINKS
Amazon US | UK | CA | AU


MY REVIEW

Overall an enjoyable read. I found, however, that most of the book takes place before and during her tenure as First Lady.

It was interesting to see the many facets of presidential life. Being a Canadian, I’m ignorant to everything that it entails and that, in and of itself, kept me turning the pages.

Shelley is a strong and capable feminist. She is smart and sassy. When she finds a wallet and returns it to its owner, her life changes completely and unexpectedly.

She starts dating Barry, a law firm associate with aspirations to the State Assembly.

They couldn’t be more different or from completely different backgrounds.

But it seems opposites attract and their tumultuous life story story begins.

The writing keeps your attention but it reads more like a memoir. Because of that, I felt like I was being told a story instead of experiencing it, and that, for me, lowered my enjoyment of the book.

I love feeling engaged and like I’m part of the story. I must say, however, that towards the end, where Shelley is the former First Lady, that I became so very much engaged. My heart broke and I giggled a little bit at Barry’s antics. I believe if the whole story had read like the end, it would have been a solid 4-star read.

For me, this book started off ok and ended on a BANG!

I received free copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not forget to like or comment on this post if you liked it! I am also open to suggestions to improve my blog and posts.

If you do leave a comment please check back as I will always comment back.