December 16, 2017

REVIEW: The Duke of Ice

Review ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (4.25): The Duke of Ice

Mr. Nicholas Bateman once had everything he ever wanted... Until he didn't.  It all started 9 years ago when the love of his life, Violet Caulfield, left him to marry a viscount.  Since then, an unfortunate set of tragedies occurred and one by one, he lost his uncle, brother, wife and child.

He is now known as the Duke of Ice and has only one friend remaining, Simon, the Duke of Romsey.

Nicholas is happy living a solitary life where he conducts estate business, rides his horse and fishes... That is until Simon coerces him to attend a house party where he comes face to face with Violet.  She stirs a whirlwind of emotion and feeling within him - none of it wanted.

Viscountess Violet Caulfield met Nicholas when she was 19 years old.  They had a clandestine love affair and Nicholas told her he wished to marry her.  Their chance at love was stolen however when her parents found out.  They don't believe a "mister" would ever be good enough and decide to marry her to a viscount of their choosing instead.  She has been heartbroken ever since.

When she meets Nicholas again, she is shocked to find out he is no longer the affable, charming boy she knew but rather a cold, unfeeling Duke!

Will the passion that simmers between the two of them thaw the Duke of Ice?  Or, will he freeze Violet out forever?

Wow.  This is a story I wish did not end.  It took precedence over almost everything. It is a story of loss, grief and how difficult, but not impossible, it can be to let go of the past and move forward.   I loved all the characters and the setting.  The story telling pulled me in and never let me go.  I felt the characters joy and sadness and I wanted the best for them.

The book is heart rendering . Seeing Nicholas turn away from love like it's the plague even though he wants it and needs it so desperately is heartbreaking..  However, towards then end, I wanted to strangle him!  My god he made me mad!..  But I digress, he is still very much loveable.  This is a book you do not want to miss.

 Having read this book, I now cannot wait for Simon's book!

Thank you to NetGalley and Darcy Burke publishing for the ARC.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not forget to like or comment on this post if you liked it! I am also open to suggestions to improve my blog and posts.

If you do leave a comment please check back as I will always comment back.