December 12, 2017

Review: Through a Dark Glass

Through a Dark Glass by Barb Hendee
My Review: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Through a Dark Glass

Through a Dark Glass is a tale about a 17 year old girl that must choose to wed 1 out of 3 brothers she has never met or spoken with.

The Volodane brothers are from the nobility but are ridiculed and scorned because of their low place in the social hierarchy.   Their father hopes to change their station by buying a bride whose family has a powerful bloodline and political connections.  That bride is Megan.  Her father has agreed to marry her off to one of the brutish brothers in exchange for money which he so desperately needs to pay off loans and to keep up appearances.

At the welcoming supper, Megan flees to a storage room to be alone.  Here, she questions how she will ever make such an impossible choice.  She is desperate and anxiety-ridden. As she begins to cry, an enchanted mirror appears.  Inside this mirror, there is a woman who lets her know she is there to help.  She will let Megan live out each of the choices available to her, one for each brother, to help her decide.  One by one, the life she would have with each brother plays out.

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who will Megan choose of them all?

The premise of this book, in my opinion, is ingenious.  For 1 heroine to live out 3 different lives and at the end, having to choose but not remember why she made the choice... I love it.  This book is riveting.  It kept me up late to find out what happened next.

The one thing about this book that readers may not like is the repitition.  However, I believe it is necessary.  For Megan to choose wisely, she would need to live through the same experiences with all the brothers.  Then based on how they react or don't react, she now has her own decisions to make.

When I was first introduced to the Volodane men in the book, I did not like them.  Their father, Jarrod, is brutish and demanding.  The eldest Rolf seems grasping and hard.  The middle brother, Sebastian, seems to be vain but friendly.  The youngest, Kai, seems angry, petulant and brooding.
Throughout the 3 scenarios Megan lives through, my opinion on each of them changes vastly.  My assumptions are put aside to realize the fact that one decision can affect others in a positive or
negative way.

There is love, alliances, death, murder, intrigue, happiness, sadness, conflict and everything in between.  Every life she leads in engrossing, you end up loving and sometimes disliking the same characters.  I didn't want the story to end. This one should definetly grace your TBR list.

 I can't wait to read the next instalment.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington-Rebel Based books for the ARC.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not forget to like or comment on this post if you liked it! I am also open to suggestions to improve my blog and posts.

If you do leave a comment please check back as I will always comment back.